Causes of bumps on the head, with pain and without features, diagnosis, treatment
Probably everyone at least once in your life found on different head bumps, blisters, swelling and other entities. Their origins are different, as well as the symptoms and treatment methods. And should be able to figure it out, because improper healing can lead to serious consequences.
so, consider the causes of bumps on the head:
- trauma or injury;
- insect bites
- swollen lymph node
- lipoma (fatty tumor)
- sebaceous cyst (cyst)
A Bump on the head as a result of injury or trauma appears after a strong blow and is a hematoma (limited accumulation of blood under the skin) tight structure. It is painful when pressed. Colour varies from light lilac to eggplant.
In the first two or three days should carefully monitor the status of the hematoma, as it may suppurate. This is the result of a weak exchange in the process of resorption of the accumulated blood. In this case, treatment involved a surgeon, he's doing the autopsy on the concentration of the blood and cleanses the wound from clots and pus. Also, surgery may be required if a large hematoma to remove the blood and prevent suppuration.
- insect Bites
Most Often the insects bite in the spring and summer. Bites usually go unnoticed and rarely lead to serious illness. But do not forget that not all insects are equally harmless. Among them are insidious: mosquitoes, bees, wasps, flys, some species of flies. After a bite or uzhalivaniya appear swelling, itching, burning, pain, local temperature increase.
First aid: to treat the skin by washing it with soap and apply something cold on the bite. Locally, you can use creams and gels with anti-allergic action. If swelling extends, will not hurt to take antihistamines orally and mandatory consultation with a specialist. Never brush a lump that appeared after the bite, even if itching can not be tolerated.
Neoplasms of the soft tissues and bones
Lipoma, or fatty tumor, is a benign tumor formed by fat cells. When pressed it tight, most often painless. Discomfort can occur when the tumor is large, compressing nearby tissues, or is composed of nerve endings.
The version most often on the forehead or scalp. The reason for the appearance is insufficient metabolism, heredity, pathology adipose tissue. Wen can contribute to mechanical compression of the blood vessels in the soft tissues, which leads to headaches. The worst complication is degeneration into a malignant tumor is a liposarcoma, but fortunately, this happens very rarely. The treatment is the removal of lipoma by surgery.
sebaceous cyst and dermoid cyst is a tumor, associated with a lack of outflow of sebum. Is often localized behind the ears, on the face or neck. Lump is dense-elastic consistence, crisp edges, is not deep. Cause serve injuries, skin diseases, heavy sweating, a predisposing factor is a flask-the structure of the sebaceous glands. Remove sebaceous cysts surgically. After the material is sent for histological examination to clarify the origin of the neoplasm.
Trichoepithelioma is a tumor-like formation of the hair follicle, having a benign course. Causes are still unknown, but are hereditary. Most often this is a multiple tumor (ability groups) has a dome-shaped elements, the diameter of which is not more than 6 mm. The Color is not different from the color of the skin or pale pink. Over time it grows. When you see the ear trichoepithelioma able to fully close the ear canal. Treatment surgery or using electrocautery.
Osteoma is a benign bone tumor. Grows very slowly, unable to malignancy, does not give metastases, doesn't invade neighboring tissues. Observed in children and adolescents (from 4 to 21 years old), more often male. Can be both painful and asymptomatic. Towering above the surface of the bone tissue, it has a spherical shape, smooth to touch, with clear and smooth edges, fixed.
The Origin of osteoma is hereditary (almost 51%). There were cases of occurrence after trauma, syphilis, gout, rheumatism. The treatment is surgery – the tumor is removed with mandatory excision of adjacent bone tissue. Without clinical manifestationsrequires regular monitoring.
- When injury atheroma, cysts, or hematomas may join a secondary infection, which leads to the formation of abscess. The skin reddens, swells, and a local temperature rise, the lump hurts. Can sometimes be self-emptying of the cavity of the atheroma with a capsule filled with pus. If not, the surgeon conducts an autopsy and purification of bag contents.
- Boil – inflammatory disease of the hair follicles. Causes – trauma by scratching, hypothermia, failure to observe the rules of personal hygiene (infrequent washing of the head), use of certain shampoos, hair masks, for example, from baldness. Outwardly looks like a dome with a white head in the center. There is puffiness, swelling, redness, severe pain when touched, when pressing the hole remains, indicating the presence of pus in the cavity. In the absence of treatment a boil may cause severe complications, regardless of whether it is located on the head or on another part of the body. The most fearsome are spilled purulent inflammation (cellulitis), cavernous sinus thrombosis and brain abscess. These diseases are difficult to treat and can lead to death. To remove yourself strictly prohibited! Because improper treatment may lead to serious consequences. Only the surgeon can help get rid of boils by its opening.
- inflammation of the lymph nodes (organs of the lymphatic system, which is responsible for the immunity of the body) also causes the formation of bumps on the head. The cause may be infectious diseases (otitis media, boils, measles), fungal infections, pediculosis. Enlarged lymph nodes is a warning about the penetration of infection into the body and appeal to the fact that you should consult a specialist. When they swell from inflammation of 2 cm or more in size, painful on palpation, firm to the touch. Marked redness of the skin in this area, the body temperature is 37-38 degrees. Contraindicated various packs, lotions, iodine mesh and the more massage. Treatment of the lymph nodes themselves don't bring them because the inflammation is the consequence of a serious illness. With proper therapy, taking antibiotics lymph nodes shrink to its original size.
Who can diagnose and prescribe treatment
To avoid serious complications, don't neglect going to the specialist. This may be a surgeon, internist, otolaryngologist, oncologist less. In any case, you will assign a survey to identify the diagnosis and remedy of a disease.
illness Symptoms and first aid
|disease Name||Symptoms complaints||appearance||Treatment|
|Hematoma||pain at the site of injury, redness, swelling.||Has color from light lilac to eggplant, tight structure||Immediately after hitting to apply the cold, after three days compress, thisprocedure.|
|insect Bite||Pain, burning, itching, swelling, redness, local temperature increase||the bite rises above the level of the skin, hot to the touch, dense structure||Immediately after the bite, wash with soap, application of ointments and gels, antihistamines by mouth.|
|Lipoma (fatty tumor)||Dense to the touch, often painless||View globe, mobile. |
The soft structure, but the deeper, the denser.
|Delete shown by introducing a special substance that dissolves the Wen, as well as by surgery or laser.|
|Atheroma||Spherical tumor.||Has a solid consistency, clear boundaries, |
is not deep.
|Remove by surgery, laser. The material sent for histology.|
|Furuncle||Throbbing pain, swelling, redness, fever.||the skin over the boil is stretched and strongly hyperemic in the center you can see the white rod.||opening the boil in the surgical room, setting drainage for the outflow of pus. If necessary, antibiotic therapy, thisprocedure.|
|Trichoepithelioma||Minor but multiple education.||not changed Color or light pink, diameter of 2-6 mm. entities||Surgical, laser. Electrocoagulation.|
|Osteoma||Can be both painful and asymptomatic.|
Pain with the injury.
|Smooth, firm, fixed tumor, skin color is not changed.||Remove surgically with excision of a small amount of healthy cells.|
|Enlarged lymph nodes||Tenderness, edema, redness, low-grade body temperature, reduction of body weight.||Firm to the touch, redness andswelling of the skin in this area, dense texture||Treatment consists in removing the primary disease|
Additional methods of examination
- Radiography allows to identify the formation of a bone density (osteoma) or to discover the cause of lymph node inflammation (rhinitis, sinusitis, chronic periodontitis).
- ultrasound allows us to determine changes in the structure of soft tissues, the availability of softening or liquid component, as well as the degree of change in the structure of the lymph node when its inflammation.
clinical management of patient
|Disease||clinical management of patient||Who cures|
|Hematoma||Apply an ice pack to monitor the temperature of the body, apply a pressure bandage. With extensive hematoma biopsy.||a trauma Surgeon or a maxillofacial surgeon (if a hematoma on the face).|
|insect Bite||Wash the bite with soap and water, applying cold locally to make compresses with Dimexidum, antibiotics, hydrocortisone, ointments and gels – antihistamine and anti-inflammatory.||Physician, allergist|
|Lipoma||Incision, squeezing the contents, scraping the capsule, stitching the wounds.||General, maxillofacial or neurosurgeon (on the scalp).|
|Atheroma||Incision, the removal of together with the capsule, stitching the wounds photocoagulation, laser, excision with a laser.||General, maxillofacial or neurosurgeon (on the scalp).|
|Furuncle||the Imposition of Ichthyol dressings, compresses with dry heat, UHF, after opening the bandage with hypertonic saline, with ointment "Levomekol". If you cannot self-opening surgical treatment. In the healing phase antimicrobials and ointments.||General or oral and maxillofacial surgeon (in the case of location on the face).|
|Trichoepithelioma||Application of cytotoxic creams, laser, vaporization, excision, excision.||General, maxillofacial or neurosurgeon (on the scalp).|
|Osteoma||Removal with excision of healthy bone plate.||General, maxillofacial or neurosurgeon (on the scalp).|
|Enlarged lymph nodes||addressing the causes of the increase of nodes.||General, maxillofacial surgeon, otolaryngologist, dentist.|
Mostly a bump on the head does not pose a serious danger, especially if she is not ill. But even in this case it is necessary to undergo an examination to clarify the cause and nature of education and to know about the possible risks.
- Surgical diseases and injuries. Knotty B. S., Sumin S. A., Gorshunova N. To. – 2015.
- Atlas of the pathology of human tumors. Paltsev M. A., Anichkov N. M. – 2005.
- Acute purulent surgical diseases. B. M. Khromov, “Medicine”, 1965.