The methods of conservative treatment of herniated discs without surgery
The Widespread belief that the presence of a herniated disc inevitably leads the patient to operation, is wrong. In fact, the percentage of those who definitely surgical treatment, not so great – only 3%. And it's the patients, who due to herniated disc compress the nerve root, or vertebral artery. In this case the patient is experiencing severe pain for a long period of not running from pain, paresis, numbness of the limbs and even disrupts the function of the pelvic organs.
The main issue for patients is whether the treatment of spinal hernia without surgery?
In each case it is necessary to accurately determine the size of the hernia, its localization and the danger of the influence on nerve roots and the spinal cord. Such information can only provide a "gold standard" – for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and functional disorders caused by disc herniation, the doctor will determine an objective examination and listening to the complaints of the patient. Only then it is possible to indicate whether or not the patient treatment of spinal hernia without surgery.
Methods of conservative treatment of hernias
surgery involving the removal of herniated discs, bring quick relief from pain and other neurological disorders. But tissue injury in the spine subsequently leads to the formation of adhesions and scarring, limitations in mobility and sensitivity. Moreover, there are cases of recurrent disc herniation at the same place or the formation of new other in the intervertebral space.
Conservative treatment of hernia – this method is much more prolonged, often painful, requiring the patient and physician patience, courage, perseverance and confidence in achieving the goal.
Properly constructed tactics of conservative treatment not only relieves pain, but promotes the development of a new lifestyle. As a result the person learns the rules of "safety" when dealing with your own spine: learns how to properly walk, run, sit and stand, lift weights, and percentage of recurrence of the disease decreases.
The Main principle on which non-surgical treatment of herniated discs is that it should be comprehensive. And in this complex there are three main areas that uses certain methods and methods of therapy.
the First area is the elimination of pain, inflammation, stimulation of blood and lymph circulation
- the Pain and the inflammation carried out using tablets, blockades, pharmacopuncture using drugs groups of NSAIDs – Ketorolac, diclofenac, meloxicam, and others. Also used local injections of anesthetics (blockade) and glucocorticoids.
- to Improve the microcirculation drug allow drugs pentoxifylline and continentalist.
- Physiotherapy in the form of ultrasound with hydrocortisone, application of diadynamic currents, electrophoresis with drugs in the area of the affected intervertebral disc. Conducted thermal physiotherapy, underwater massage, acupuncture.
The Laser treatment, lazerfaces medications, successfully applied in recent time also acts as physical therapy.
- to Relieve the tension of vertebral muscles when the pain syndrome makes prescribing drugs, relaxing muscles, sirdalud, mydocalm, baclofen.
- When the herniated disc in the cervical spine is often affected vertebral artery supplying the brain. In this case, to improve microcirculation and a better absorption of glucose administered Actovegin.
- Antioxidant therapy also helps to improve the condition of the nerve structures in the intervertebral space compression.
the Second area is the reduction of trauma to the neural structures
- Bed rest in the acute period, the use of position treatment position, the use of orthopedic mattresses.
- Wearing semi-rigid corsets, bandages, to reduce the amount of movement in the spine at the level of the lesion.
- Methods of stretching (traction) of the spine, including with special mattresses that provide preventive stretching.
- Massage and manual therapy is very effective methods, but their use should strictly take into account the stage of the disease, for example, in the acute period to carry out massage in area of hernia is prohibited, however, numb and painful hands or feet massage is not only possible, but useful.
Chronic pain massage shown, but it's necessary to teach the patient the correct behavior after the session – how to stand, use a corset in orderworked protective muscle tension.
Defamatory – view manual exposure allows you to relax tense in the affected area muscle massage, reflexology, and in addition, teaches the patient skills to correct movements from the point of view of the health of the spine.
- movement Therapy – from physical therapy under the supervision of an instructor in the clinic to kinesitherapy in the medical center for special equipment.
There are many sets of exercises, developed by the specialists dealing with diseases of the spine – S. Bubnovsky, W. Pellico, V. Dikul, Y. Popov and others. However, for conservative treatment of herniated discs relieved, to choose exercises individually for each patient taking into account the manifestations of the disease, characteristics and area of residence needs qualified doctor.
- educating patients on the correct movements that do not harm the spine. It is no less important than the use of drugs, because, even achieving a positive effect from massage, chiropractic and drug therapy, the person may end up at a hospital bed, just wrong getting up from his chair.
- Psychological correction. Patient undergoing treatment of herniated discs, it is necessary in many ways to change your life and habits, to learn not only to tolerate but to overcome pain, to not be lazy to regularly implement the recommendations of the doctor. All this – the success of the therapy, and psychological assistance to such patients is necessary.
the Third direction reducing the size of the intervertebral bulging
In addition to surgery to conduct a complete removal of the intervertebral hernia, conservative treatment can be carried out by local injections of homeopathic remedies. Also uses physiotherapy – electrophoresis of drugs, softening and reducing the herniated disc.
The Therapeutic influence should include at least two directions, and preferably all three. As a result of this approach is provided not only pain relief, subsidence of inflammation, but also increases the circulation, stimulating the removal of decay products and the recovery of tissues in the affected area of the nerve structures in the intervertebral space.
Thus, having heard the terrible diagnosis, it is not necessary to panic and look for the surgical clinic. To treat a herniated disc without surgery is not only possible, but preferable for anyone who does not have a critical state. You only need to be patient and constantly strive for the target.