Symptoms, diagnosis, treatment of hernia in the cervical spine
Hernia in the cervical spine have recently become quite frequent, this is largely due to the increase in the number of office workers, the working day which runs in a computer chair, the General reduction in motor activity among the population. Herniated discs of the cervical spine (AIZ) require mandatory treatment due to the fact that their complications can lead to disability.
The incidence of this pathology in the SHOP less than lumbar, but larger than in the thoracic. This is because the lumbar withstands a greater load than the other. But in spite of this, a herniated disc this localization is dangerous due to the proximity to the brain.
Most Often a patient turns to the doctor, complaining of pain in the neck, shoulder girdle. Pain syndrome first non-permanent moderate, aching, localized on the back of the neck with simultaneous voltage paravertebral muscles. The pain may increase when bending the head forward, moving left and right, sneezing and coughing.
In Addition to pain in humans with this disease are the following symptoms:
- the Sensation of tingling in the upper extremities and humeral belt, a burning sensation there as well.
- muscle Weakness, numbness of the upper extremities.
- decreased sensitivity of the upper extremities up to complete paresis.
- the Decline and loss of reflexes upon examination.
- Dizziness, tinnitus, headaches, loss of coordination.
You should Also know that the pain is directly linked with the site of the lesion of the disc and size of herniation.
To Clarify the diagnosis can doctor after conducting a needs diagnostic. But from where came the herniated disc, will manifest the following symptoms (see table below).
In addition, it is believed that there is a relationship between lesions of certain discs of the spine and diseases of the internal organs (see diagram below).
Methods of diagnosis
Today there is a full instrumental methods of diagnosis of hernia of intervertebral disk. The most common are MRI and CT. With their help, can easily determine the localization of the hernia, its size, stage of development. Among the contraindications we can only note the presence of metallic implants in the human body (MRI), pregnancy and lactation (relative contraindication), acute mental disorders (just that the patient didn't escape during the procedure and didn't hurt myself).
As more research can be assigned:
- ultrasound of neck vessels and brain Doppler;
- Definition of the speed of the motor and sensory nerves.
As a rule, these methods of instrumental diagnostics are used to Refine and verify the diagnosis.
In the acute phase basic treatment of a herniated disc is a medical therapy.
Among a large number of medicines preference is given to the following groups and drugs:
- NSAIDs – "Nimesulide, Meloxicam, Celecoxib, Lornoxicam, Aceclofenac". When expressed pain in the first five days may be appointed – Ketoprofen ("Ketonal", "Ketanov"), Ketorolac ("Ketorol"), diclofenac ("Voltaren", "Ortofen") in the form of intramuscular injections. This group of drugs have a cumulative effect, about 3-5 a day.
- In considerable pain, decreased quality of life and cause sleep disturbances may be prescribed "Tramadol" (tablet or injection), "Katadolon" (tablets). These drugs are prescription the deadline is strictly limited.
- Muscle relaxants Central action – "Mydocalm", "Sirdalud", "Baclofen" in the form of tablets with a gradual titration of the dose under the supervision of a physician. These drugs relieve muscle spasm, and also have a Central analgesic action, which is well summarised with NSAIDs.
- Vasoactive drugs – "Instenon", "Trental" (pentoxifylline), "Berlition", "aktovegin". Help to eliminate vertigo, headaches and incoordination on the background of a herniated disc.
- b Vitamins (B1, B6, "Milgamma", "Neuromultivit"). According to research of authors of the Russian medical journal, these drugs contribute to a significant shortening of pain and restoration of function of neural tissue.
- Novocaineparavertebral blockade.
- In chronic pain may be prescribed antidepressants, due to the fact that chronic pain is often accompanied by increased anxiety, depressive States. Often get rid of the pain in the limbs the appearance of a herniated disc in the neck quite easily. To do this, basically enough medical treatment.
Modern medicine recommends to get rid of a hernia in the complex. To do this, there are additional techniques that help reduce pain:
- Physical exercises, special complexes of physical therapy. Complex exercise physiologist is chosen individually, based on data from medical records and the results of additional tests.
- Traction of the cervical spine. This procedure is an extension. It is performed with the help of a special apparatus. After that, the space, formed as a pinched nerve.
- Using corset.
- Manual therapy and osteopathy.
- With the ineffectiveness of conservative treatment, severe squeezing and violation of the trophic operative treatment.
The Differential diagnosis with other pathologies (table)
|Symptoms||Hernia cervical||Tunnel neuropathy|
|Pain||Occurs in the neck, often a headache||localized Pain along the affected nerve.|
|Weakness||there is a weakness in the upper limbs and reduction in muscle strength, up to of paresis and paralysis.||Muscle weakness, loss of muscle strength.|
|Numbness||Numb upper limbs, sensation of tingling, burning, decreased sensitivity of the upper extremities, respectively, affected the binding.||dysesthesia in the area of innervation of this nerve, paresthesia in the course of a specific nerve.|
|Shared state||The patient feel dizzy, blood pressure changes, he gets tired quickly.||the Overall condition does not change much, may increase anxiety.|