How determine (detect) a hernia of the spine?
As with a high degree of probability to determine the presence of a hernia of the spine? Not the usual aggravation of sciatica, which has already happened before; not the consequences of an old injury of the spine, which occasionally bothers, namely hernial protrusion in the intervertebral disc. An experienced doctor will be able to answer this question after the standard inspection and additional testing.
How can I determine intervertebral hernia?
In the first place is carried out the following steps:
- Clarification of complaint with a detailed description of the localization of the symptoms.
From understanding what ails the patient, depend on further actions of the doctor on finding the problems or possible diseases. Complaints with hernia of the spine, which will be articulated by a sick man:
- variety of pain intensity that may occur in the lower back, chest, neck;
- changes in the hands and feet, manifested or pricking pain, or unusual muscle weakness;
- impossibility to move the body to the extent that was prior to illness. The doctor will be able to see these manifestations in the form of unnatural postures and smooth movements, as if the patient is afraid to move;
- unpleasant violations in the administration of natural needs that arise not always, but much in the way to live a sick person.
- a Detailed survey of the patient to ascertain all the details of the problem of the spine.
It is important to clearly and in detail find out how the disease started and what preceded the first symptoms, how quickly the process began to progress and worsen the patient's life, has there been any treatment and gave the results. Experienced doctor briefly and clearly outline a circle of questions on which want to get clear answers. If the patient will be able to answer them thoroughly and truthfully, it will be the first step to identify the hernia.
- Careful inspection and examination of the patient.
At this stage, the specialist neurologist does regular inspection with the use of routine methods, which include:
- visual and palpatory examination of the area where pain is most pronounced and where the doctor can see the reflex contraction of muscles, resulting in a forced position;
- the study of reflexes in typical areas (Achilles tendon, knee) that will demonstrate a significant decrease in reflex activity in these areas;
- definition of sensitivity and assessment of muscle strength in the lower extremities that will allow us to understand how involved in the pathological process of the spinal nerves.
Upon completion of the normal methods of examination the doctor is able to make the preliminary diagnosis and to recognize intervertebral hernia. To learn the exact location of the hernial defect of the spine, find out how pronounced the lesion of the spinal disc and to define possible complications, the neurologist uses diagnostic methods.
Additional studies to recognize pathology
You Can call them for more, but they always required:
- X-rays of the spine.
In remote areas where no modern methods of examination, this outdated technique is still used. Information it gives a little, but may show the presence of bone defects, fractures, or intervertebral joint problems.
- layer-by-Layer tomographic images.
The basis of this technique also uses x-ray radiation. CT scan may give more information to the doctor, but will not show soft tissue pathology in the spine.
- a Tomographic study based on magnetic resonance effect (MRI).
The Optimal method for revealing any pathology of the spine, because it allows you to see how the bone structures of the spinal column and to assess the condition of the intervertebral discs, spinal nerves and surrounding soft tissues.
- Electroneurographic study.
Additional technique that gives the opportunity to evaluate the quality and speed of impulse conduction of the spinal nerves. When deviation from the norm can confidently say that the damage to nerve structures gryzunam protrusion.
When there is severe pain, contact your doctor. Medical examination and MRI diagnostics will make it possible to accurately determine a hernia of the spine and to start the treatment.