Anti-inflammatory, vasodilator drugs and antispasmodics osteochondrosis
Drugs for the treatment of degenerative disc disease are prescribed for the elimination of pathogenetic mechanisms of degenerative-dystrophic lesions of the spine: the intervertebral disc damage, impaired blood supply, the bone formation of osteophytes and normalization of the tonus of skeletal muscles.
On the background pathology infringed the nerve roots, leading to pain in the lower back, inflammation in the surrounding tissues, increased activity of the sympathetic nervous system. On the background pathology often spazmiruyutsya vessels, which requires the use of vasodilating drugs (antispasmodics).
Chondroprotectors (hondroksid, structum, alflutop) are appointed for the purpose of reconstructing the structure of the intervertebral discs. When the medication improves the allocation of synovial fluid in the joints.
The Underlying basis of treatment of degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the spine are anti-inflammatories (diclofenac, voltaren, Ketorolac).
Consider the above drugs.
What are the drugs to treat the degenerative disc disease of the cervical spine
Vasoconstrictor drugs for the treatment of cervical degenerative disc disease:
- pentoxifylline is a tool for the normalization of blood supply in the vessels and improve the rheological properties of blood. The effect of the medicine is based on the vasodilation, improve blood circulation and prevention of hypoxia of the brain;
- aminophylline – a bronchodilator (dilates bronchial tree). This antispasmodic helps to improve peripheral and cerebral circulation. Aminophylline is used for the treatment of neurological diseases on the background of degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the spine;
- nicotinic acid and xantinol nicotinate – improve microcirculation, increase aggregation activity and improve collateral blood supply and metabolic processes in tissues;
- lipoic acid (Berlition) – medicines metabolic number, with the effect enhance collateral circulation, the recovery of energy metabolism and improving nervous innervation. The tool improves trophic and biochemical properties improves the metabolism inside the cells;
- Actovegin is a protein the blood of calves. It contains large amounts of nutrients (amino acids, nucleosides, products of fat metabolism). The drug restores peripheral circulation and improves vascular tone. It has a positive effect on patients with disorders in the brain. The positive effect of Actovegin is associated with the normalization of blood circulation in the internal organs and the development of collaterals.
Vasodilators osteochondrosis of the neck and thoracic spine help to restore cerebral blood flow and reduce hypoxia in the tissues.
In practice, neurologists often prescribe drugs such as Vinpocetine and piracetam.
In degenerative processes of the neck, these drugs are most effective. They prevent spasm of the vertebral arteries, which are involved in the vertebrobasilar circulation. In patients receiving these antispasmodics are eliminated the following symptoms:
- movement disorders
Antispasmodics are prescribed together with other drugs for the treatment of degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the vertebral column.
Vinpocetine is a corrector of cerebral blood supply. It is characterized by its neuroprotective and vasodilatory effect, enhances cerebral circulation and improves the delivery of blood to the brain.
Piracetam – improves metabolic processes.
Each of these medications complements the previous one. To normalize the condition of the soft tissues of the spine, it is necessary simultaneously with spasmolytics apply chondroprotectors.
Apply anti-inflammatory medication for the osteoarthritis by blocking the enzyme cyclooxygenase. This chemical triggers an inflammatory response in the body. When you block the inflammation does not appear. However, the drug has temporary effect.
In the long term anti-inflammatory agents cannot be used because they have side effects on the gastrointestinal tract.
The Latest generation of drugs has a selective effect against cyclooxygenase receptors in the bone tissue, but they do not affect the receptors of the intestine. Thus, it is possible to reduce the side effects of drugs.
The Most effective means for the treatment of diseases of the spine – diclofenac. This opinion is, of course, some doctors will be contested. Today there are drugs like nimesulide and Nise, which have minimal side effects on the gut and extended action (allowing to reduce the dosage of the drug). However,the effectiveness of anti-inflammatory action, they are inferior to diclofenac, and Ketorolac.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can be classified into 2 groups:
The First group is contraindicated in patients with ulcers, gastritis, and children under 6 years of age (ibuprofen, diclofenac, indometacin).
Selective anti-inflammatory drugs contraindicated in lactation, pregnant, Teens and small children.
What are the side effects arise from taking NSAIDs:
- drowsiness and tiredness
- abdominal pain;
- flatulence and constipation.
Treatment of degenerative changes in the thoracic and lumbar
The degeneration of the thoracic and lumbar spine in addition to anti-inflammatory drugs may be given muscle relaxants. They have analgesic and sedative effect. Drugs provide relaxation of skeletal muscles of the back, eliminating pain arising from infringement of nerve fibers in thicker muscle tissue.
Before taking these drugs, check their side effects:
- dry mouth;
- nausea and vomiting
- slimming health
- slow urination
- constipation or diarrhea
- drop in blood pressure;
- emotional disorders (irritability, depression, euphoria).
Contraindications to muscle relaxants:
- myasthenia gravis;
- chronic renal failure
- pregnancy and lactation
- increased sensitivity
- allergic reactions.
Narcotic drugs of osteoarthritis are appointed by the psychiatrists when the patient had neuropsychiatric disorders. For pain apply the following drugs tempalgin, and baralgin Pentalgin.
Attention! Narcotic anti-inflammatory drugs for osteoarthritis are used for the relief of pain only when other medications do not bring positive effect.
Protective agents – drugs against the degeneration of the spine. They are appointed for a long period of time to prevent further destruction of intervertebral disks.
What chondroprotective funds should be taken against degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the spine:
- injections to improve joint mobility and accumulation of cartilage cells in the spinal column;
- for intake (teraflex, don, and structum) are appointed for a long period of time (3 to 6 months). The first results they bring in half a year, when in the pictures you can see the increase in height of intervertebral gaps.
The Treatment of degenerative-dystrophic diseases should start from the early stages, when the destruction of cartilage is negligible.
Therefore, the preparations against degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the spine (antispasmodics, protective agents, NSAIDs) are appointed in conjunction with the initial stages of the pathological process. To improve their effectiveness, the treatment is supplemented with steroid agents, bio-stimulants, psychotropics, vitamins of group B. The Choice of the treatment scheme should remain with doctors.