Causes, symptoms and treatments of bursitis of the big toe
Bursitis of the big toe is a problem that causes severe pain and many unpleasant consequences, sometimes impedes the normal work and walking. This disease is most often hereditary, but sometimes it becomes an unpleasant consequence of wearing the favorite of most women studs.
Bursitis of the big toe are very common women illness men can sometimes be it rarely. with the Disease is caused by the deformation of the toes, which are not only unsightly, but also very hurt. Bursitis in an advanced stage can even cause inflammation of the joint capsule.
As already mentioned, the disease develops as a result of pressure caused by improper selection of shoes. The thumb in this case pressure on the other fingers, sometimes, what lies beneath them.
The disease is estimated by experts on the basis of x-ray in several degrees of complexity. The main criterion is the angle between the first metatarsal bone and phalanges, the so-called angle of hallux valgus. Its measurement is so significant that it allows you to classify disease, thereby accepted methods of further treatment and surgery.
causes of pathology
- Genetic predisposition – most often the disease is inherited, so even in his youth, when feet possess the predisposition to its occurrence, should be carried out appropriate prevention.
- Incorrect shoes – as already several times mentioned, bursitis toes can be purchased as a result of pressure on the toes. Dangerous are and high heels.
- contributes to the Bursitis and excessive weight, postural defects and foot.
- class Professional classical and ballroom dances.
- Menopause and other hormonal disorders that cause abnormalities in the joints.
When bursitis of the big toe painful symptoms affecting the problems with a long walk, but the patient is not immediately resorted to the help of a specialist. And that was a mistake, because in the early stages of the disease has a chance to resolve this issue. Should visit a podiatrist who will advise to do x-ray to determine the extent of the problem and prescribe treatment, which reduces pain and discomfort, slow the progression of the disease.
- Less powerful changes are amenable to conservative treatment which includes the selection of a suitable, convenient and low shoes size.
- Apply physical therapy, in particular the procedure of iontophoresis, laser therapy, magnetic field, cryotherapy and ultrasound. They can remove local inflammation and reduce pain and discomfort. Therapy should be selected by physician individually for the patient's rehabilitation given his overall health, to start performed as soon as possible and daily, to get a result in treatment.
- Applied and kinesiotherapy, in which with the right set of elastic plasters corrected wrong position of the big toe, which leads to reduction of pain, inflammation and delay of processes of deformation in the foot.
- In the treatment of orthopaedic devices used in corrective camera or splint – universal on both feet, come to footwear, you can also use them around the clock as in the prevention and surgical treatment. They slow down the process of distortion and reduce the amount of inflammation on the foot.
- Tag wedge throttle, which prevents the movement of the thumb to the second finger, which leads to a decrease in its angle strain.
- Silicone sheath in the form of a tunnel, laid on a sore thumb and the metatarsal of the foot, also very effective. Shell reduces pain because it isolates the critical places and thus accelerates the healing of wounds on the skin, prevents friction of the big toe the Shoe, absorbs lateral shock and protects from injuries. It can be used under the sock for open toe shoes.
The Indications for surgical treatment of the foot are all listed strains, which are not amenable to conservative therapy. How to treat bursitis of the great toe surgical technique? Treatment consists in correcting bone, inserting into position and stabilization with plates or screws. At large deformations is performed also:
- osteotomy metatarsal bones;
- plastic finger joints;
- correction and lengthening of tendons;
- relief from contractures in the joints;
- removal of outgrowths of bone degenerative changes.
The operation Itself is painless because it is performed under General anesthesia.
Surgery of the foot continues for 3 h. In case operating procedures patientmust remain up to 2 days in the hospital. In the early postoperative period should be limited to movement of the operated limb. Depending on the chosen method of treatment is applied immobilization with plaster. However, some modern operating methods make it possible to go from the first days after the operation, without the use of a plaster cast.
It is Recommended to use cooling compresses which may reduce the discomfort, post-operative pain and swelling. Necessary and the implementation of therapeutic exercises, the patient returns the activity of the foot and entire lower extremity. Exercises must first be performed individually with a physical therapist and then the patient can continue independently. The operated leg recovers within a few weeks.
Prevention and recommendations
Bursitis of the big toe can be treated and cured.
however, it Should be remembered that the best treatment of bursitis is proper prevention.
To the occurrence of deformation of the thumb and little finger of the foot affects women, as the distortion causes fingers shoes with narrow toe and high heel. For prevention it is recommended to limit your daily wearing this type of shoes, in your free time should walk barefoot, to ensure complete relaxation of the legs, and during the holidays you can put feet up to improve blood circulation in them.
Prevention of bursitis is carried out in the following ways:
- wearing the appropriate footwear: depending on the complexity of the problem you can just avoid uncomfortable shoes and high heels, or purchase a special Shoe for rehabilitation;
- using proper care: because there is pain and discomfort, accompanied by the appearance of abrasions, blisters and corns, with daily foot care is to take care of these sensitive areas;
- application of patches or gel pads on the damaged area;
- using a special silicone, rubber liners and pillows to prevent distortion of the finger positions.
Bursitis toes is the change that occurs within the foot, significantly impede her daily functioning. Additionally, deformation data, unfortunately, does not look aesthetically pleasing, it is therefore important to prevent their occurrence.