How to choose an orthopedic knee braces in osteoarthritis of the knee?
How to choose the knee braces in osteoarthritis of the knee joint, how to choose them so as to improve your condition? Arthritis – the disease is insidious and intractable, requiring complex treatment, one of the components of which are the orthoses.
What is osteoarthritis?
This is the most common disease of the joints. In the running form can cause limited mobility or complete immobilization. Arthritis develops after injury or due to degeneration of the joint. In fact, osteoarthritis is not one disease, but several. There are such forms:
- degeneration and inflammation of joint;
- growth of bone of the joint;
- degeneration of the joint and its surrounding tissues (tendons and ligaments);
- hemorrhage into the joint cavity.
All this leads to the destruction of the joint. This process occurs in several stages.
- Changes in the joints are only visible in x-rays. Externally felt only mild pain and cracking noise when bent.
- the Pain becomes pronounced, the mobility of the limbs is restricted.
- severe pain are concerned, even at rest. The limb loses its mobility.
This disease is treated holistically, it includes a variety of medications (external and internal), surgical intervention, physical therapy, diet, special physical exercises and the use of a brace for your damaged joint.
Why do I need knee pads?
Orthopedic knee braces serve several functions:
- fix a knee joint, slowing the process of deformation;
- relieve joint;
- prevent "razbaltyvaniya" of joint;
- warm the joint.
Choose a pad based on its characteristics and the desired destination. Different types of fixation:
How to choose the pads for the knee joint correctly? Kind of knee depends on diagnosis and severity of the disease.
- Closed type brace. This type is recommended to those who do not have an accurate diagnosis. In addition, this bandage reduces the pain.
- the Open brace with stiffeners. It is chosen, if the pain occur during physical exertion. Such models can be conveniently fixed joint.
- Bandage with adjustable tension. They are recommended in the postoperative period.
- the Pads are heated. They are indicated for patients with chronic pain.
- choose Articulated in progressive form of the disease.
- Bandage, fixation of the tendon, is used when the focus of pain is located directly in the kneecap.
The simplest kind of tissue. It supports the joint, not squeezing it. This orthosis has a warming effect and compression. Semi-rigid model are selected individually. When choosing, be sure to appreciate the convenience.
Use them in the knee injuries, after surgery, and ligament injuries. Hard knee pads provide complete fixation of the knee from the lower portion of the Shin to the thigh.
The Main function is a reliable fixation of the joint. By itself, the knee does not cure, but can relieve pain, improve movement and speed recovery, significantly reduce the load on the joint. In addition, the orthosis should warm the joints to relieve pain.
Orthopaedic knee medical produce company, so they should be purchased only at the pharmacy or special shop.
The Types of materials of construction for the pads:
- Neoprene. It is a synthetic material. Its advantage is the ease and warming effect. The disadvantage of neoprene is not breathable, so the skin under it will sweat.
- Spandex or elastane. The merit of thin and lightweight material. The downside is the lack of a warming effect.
- Polyester. The advantage is breathable, light, stretchy, durable material. Drawback – high price.
- Cotton. The advantage is breathable and warming material. Drawback – lack of elasticity and fragility
- Camel or dog wool. Advantage – it keeps you warm and allows skin to breathe. The downside is the lack of tightening effect, therefore, involves the addition of synthetics.
How to choose?
Select the pads to the mind. First, a consultation is required. Only a specialist will determine the type of orthopedic knee, which is necessary in your case. Secondly, you might not need the knee pad and elastic bandage, whose action is similar to knee pads on the main functions. Thirdly, a good knee – pleasurenot cheap, and that expert makes a choice between means of fixation and pain:
- the Correct size. Free brace would not benefit. The knee pad should tightly clasp the knee, without disturbing blood circulation. The size depends on the girth of the knee and the circumference of the plot at 15 cm above the joint.
- the Right level of stiffness. It should be determined by the doctor. You can not choose the model, focusing on reviews of people with similar disease. The structure of the legs individually.
- Warming effect. In osteoarthritis usually choose models from dog and camel wool.
- Orthopedic knee must be certified. He should firmly hold the foot and cushion the movement, so to buy it at the pharmacy, clinic or special shop.
- Before buying the knee pad should be mandatory to try.
Who should take these products?
The Pads greatly reduce pain, relieve inflammation and swelling, reduce tension and increase range of motion. Therefore, orthopedic knee braces can be used not only in osteoarthritis:
- the Brace can be used after suffering a knee injury.
- the Pads can be used as a means of maintenance therapy after surgery.
- As a means of preventing improper setting of the foot.
- Knee pad is used in injuries to the lateral ligaments.
- Pad can be used as a retainer after immobilization (plaster).
- the Brace can be used by athletes to prevent injuries.
- the Brace is typically used by lovers of sports that require prior training.
- It is recommended for those who lead a sedentary lifestyle or is overweight.
- Pad can be used as a brace for the injury, if there is an Allergy to the plaster.
Remember: always wear knee cannot. Wear during heavy loads on the joint, but not more than 3 hours a day.