Features and tips for choosing a corset for the spine when intervertebral hernia
Effective corset for the spine with a hernia in their Arsenal wants to have every person suffering from this disease. This orthopedic device is designed to maintain the muscular frame of the back, removing the load from the damaged muscles in spasm.
Types of orthopedic braces for the spine
The Technique of orthotics when intervertebral hernia is performed by orthopedic surgeons for several decades. However, not many patients believe in the healing properties of these products. Wearing a corset at a vertebral hernia, only a few months, one can evaluate its benefit.
Actually it is an effective tool for:
- Prevention of postural disorders;
- Exclude compensatory changes in the vertebral column (kyphosis, lordosis, spondylosis).
The main function of orthopedic models is the modified segment fixation of lumbar spine in a static position. To shield the affected area from the mobility you need to pick up corset certain degree of hardness.
There are 2 main varieties of corsets for the spine depending on the location of the application:
Preventive model designed for people who experience large daily physical activity to prevent pathology of the lumbar spine. They are in demand and athletes who perform daily athletic training to eliminate the offset discs and subluxations of the vertebrae.
Types of corsets used by orthopedists Russia:
- posture Corrector (compensating) is assigned for mild posture. He wears several hours a day (on prescription) and is always used for static work and physical activity of patients with vertebral hernia;
- elastic model is quite flexible, but tight. She presses on the protruding point of the spine that allows you to correct subluxations of the vertebrae and their deformation. Wearing tight models must be at least 6 hours per day;
- Immobilizerpower (traction, Milwaukee) was used when expressed changes of the lumbar spine. Due to the complex design of such products is exposed for nearly the entire length of the vertebral column.
In children the model it is recommended to wear for as long as possible. In case of partial recovery from the pathology of the first time of wearing is reduced to half of the total interval, and then to ¼ of the day.
- Locking is used to maintain a specific section of the vertebral column.
depending on the stiffness they are divided into:
- Rigid models are assigned only to physicians, physical therapists. Their own they cannot be used, because man can not live without diagnostic methods to establish which part of the spine requires support. Products strongly support the damaged area, ensuring unloading;
- Semi-rigid – used for unloading of the affected departments have micro massage and warming effect. Using these products also prevents cramps and overexertion of skeletal muscle. Are appointed by the orthopaedic and spine specialists for sciatica, hernia, pain in the lower back. Can also be used as a preventative products when performing heavy physical exertion;
- Soft (warming). Orthopedic surgeons are appointed mainly for improvement of local blood circulation in the affected area. The inner part of these models is covered with camel or dog wool. They are recommended in neurological disorders, radiculitis, hernia. It should be understood that the warming models do not support the axis of the spine in the correct position, so do not take the load off the damaged disk.
How to choose a corset in low back pain and hernias.
When the pathology of the lumbar increasingly being replaced by semi-rigid and rigid corset. The presence of degenerative disc disease, sciatica, fractures requires rigid fixation of the damaged areas. In such a situation, rational use of rigid corsets. They prevent complications of disease and accelerate tissue healing time. When choosing a hard corset, you need to pay attention to the following features:
- Model should ideally encircle the waist (if worn on the waist)
- you cannot wear them for more than 6 hours.
Hard ware for the back are large, allowing them to support a spinal column in a vertical position.
Corset when herniated applies only in the following cases:
- Pain in your lower back;
- Prevention changes when a strong physical exertion;
- Disorders of muscle tone of the back.
Fixing options for braces are limited in size and are intended solely formaintaining a damaged spine. Compression fractures (vertebral body flattened on both sides) is necessary in the fixation axis of the spinal column and the smoothing of the fracture line.
The Model for the thoracic spine have some special features. If there is herniated disc in this area, there is often Hyper-kyphosis (excessive outward pereleshin), so the design features of the product take into account the anatomical features of the spine.
The Model for the breast help to correct stoop without exhausting physical exercises, which is often used for straightening the axis of the spinal column in children with curvature of posture and slouching.
Special braces for posture relieves the anterior vertebrae, which leads not only to pain but also to get rid of the pathological changes of the back.
According to the degree of fixation of orthopedic corsets are separated by degrees:
- 1 degree (mild) – the products have up to 4 stiffeners;
- 2 degree (average) – up to 6 ribs;
- 3 degree (severe) – the ribs are bent around the circumference of the waist.
When you attempt self-treatment intervertebral hernia with back pain recommended a semi-rigid product of 2 degrees, but before purchase it is better to get expert advice.
Features children's patterns
Children's corsets to the back in some cases is the only effective means of treating the pathology. They are used in:
- back Pain and lower back;
- spinal Diseases (osteochondrosis and scoliosis);
- Changes in blood vessels.
Hypoplasia of skeletal muscle in children becomes a precipitating factor for many diseases of the vertebral column.
baby Elastic corset Created to maintain posture and preventing scoliosis. It is used in the initial stages of displacement of the axis of the spine, when there occurs deformation of the individual vertebrae. Is a soft structure that has no hard inserts and are made of a special elastic bandage.
Rigid orthosis for lower back Or the waist has a solid plate that is sewn on both sides of the product. Through this prevents further deformation of the lumbar spine, normal load on the musculature of the back. The corset has several stiffeners in combination with plastic inserts for posture correction.
Individual corset Must be purchased for scoliosis where there is a strong deformation axis of the spinal column. It is made taking into account individual peculiarities of a person made of plastic.
When there is a sideways curvature of the spine this orthosis is most effective, but its cost is rather high. Assigned these products to children after the age of 11 years.
In conclusion, here are a few tips on how to choose the right corset to the individual features of spine:
- If you want to choose the right size before purchasing a corset for the treatment of vertebral hernia measure the circumference under the breast. The product must be 1-2 cm larger than the given size;
- Inner surface models must have inserts at the neck and armpits, and also consist of cotton fabric
- Buy a model with wide straps and a convenient Velcro closure. Ideal – corset with adjustable ribs.
- Correctly chosen product should not compress the spinal column.
The Orthopaedic corset and in disorders of the lumbar herniation and other spine is the most convenient and effective way to maintain the area of damage in the physiological state. This eliminates the pain, so vanishes the need for painkillers.