What is the spondylitis of the spine: causes, symptoms and treatment of pathology
The Spondylitis of the lumbar spine – chronic inflammatory process which may affect not only the lumbar but also the other departments. This process provokes the deformation of the plates, which bone density decreases. All this is accompanied by the formation of purulent foci. It is important to notice the disease, otherwise it will give to first thoracic, and then rise above and concentrate in the cervical spine. Thus, all affected would be the spine.
This disease can be visually little noticeable, as the lumbar itself has a more curved shape than thoracic or cervical. The fact that the deformation process involved not so many vertebrae, so in most cases there is only a smoothing of lordosis.
Such inflammation of the vertebrae rarely occur in isolation. They need a trigger. Usually this is any disease. Therefore, the spondylitis of the spine appears on the following reasons:
- Tuberculosis. This reason is the most common in modern medicine. Mycobacteria, getting into the body of the vertebrae, begin to destroy soft tissue with their livelihoods.
- Spondylitis in the cervical, thoracic or lumbar may develop on the background of such nasty organisms as Brucella, E. Coli, Staphylococcus or Streptococcus.
- There is a disease such as ankylosing spondylitis, when there is an immune defect of ligaments and joints the vertebral column. As a result spondylitis.
- do Not forget about the risk of heredity, or a weakened immune system.
In addition, scientists point out that if a person suffered any injury of the lumbar spine, the likelihood of developing disease increases. I should add that trauma to other parts of spinal column (cervical or thoracic) can the wave impact on the bottom. That is why it is so important to monitor their health.
Today there are two main types:
- Specific spondylitis. In this category, those forms of the disease, which were triggered by an infectious nature, such as tuberculosis.
- Nonspecific spondylitis. This is a kind of ailment that was the consequence of ankylosing spondylitis.
This problem still more common in older people. causes a subsidence of the vertebrae of patients, which shortened the torso a few. But as children, in their case the process starts from the middle of the vertebrae, it will manifest kyphosis and scoliosis.
In medicine emit another classification for this disease:
Ankylosing spondylitis. This form is characterized by an early inflammatory process in the spinal joints, and in ligaments and tendons. Most often it is localized in the small joints located between vertebrae. This leads to the fact that they stiffen, but this process develops gradually. But it is worth noting that this form is rather dangerous, since it leads to the formation of ankylosis, i.e., bone begin to knit. In parallel, and ligaments lose their elasticity, causing the spine can no longer bend.
Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic long runs, but the symptoms may be mild or moderately. If the person just asked for help from the specialist, pain are easily eliminated. And besides, you can almost fully restore mobility to the spine. Here work will take place and to reduce deformations which were caused by spondylitis.
Ankylosing form is a systemic disease that involves inflammation of not only vertebrae, but also the surrounding tissue and joints – hip, knee, shoulder, feet, eye tissues, heart muscle, lungs, and kidneys. So the joke here is in any case impossible, and in a timely manner is to contact the clinic if concerned about any symptom.
Age category of the disease – from 13 to 35 years, but there are cases of ankylosing spondylitis, and in older people. According to statistics, this disease affected more men than women.
Tuberculous spondylitis. Is localized not only in the lumbar, but in the chest.
To diagnose this form requires a clear symptomatology, and it meet for a long time does not appear. And the first signs can be misinterpreted by a doctor and be diagnosed as osteomyelitis.
Tuberculous type can be identified using x-ray, if the picture will show the following characteristics:
- destroyed intervertebral disc, which starts narrowing the distance between the vertebrae;
- is changing contours of the endplates;
- in the body segment develops focal osteoporosis;
- becomes wedge-shaped deformationform;
- notes uzuratsiya borders of the vertebral body.
The Treatment of tuberculous spondylitis begins with the admission of the patient, because now the person will have to lie in order on the spine had a minimum load. Also in parallel, the patient constitute the course of tuberculostatic therapy.
This form of the disease occurs on the background of trauma. And here it is necessary to be especially careful, since any injury causes pain, but eventually it passes, and foci of necrosis remain. The risk of spondylitis aseptic in that the effects of a blow or injury of the spine may not to remind myself for many years, the destructive process will be in full grow.
first, the doctor inspects his patient, paying attention to each section of the vertebra. The fact that complaints can be in the lumbar area, and the whole problem will be concentrated in the chest.
According to statistics, this form occurs more often representatives of a strong half of mankind at the age of 28 to 35 years. Is localized mainly on one of the thoracic vertebrae and the lower back usually affects. Trauma to the spine may be accompanied by violation of the integrity vnutriposelkovyh artery, which in this area starts bleeding. And this is already leading to vasomotor disorders. As a consequence of the necrosis and resorption of bone. If the victim does not know about such processes in your body, then, accordingly, he continues to live an ordinary life, to perform all the usual actions that would be detrimental to the deformed thoracic vertebra. But if it turns out that thoracic spine or the lower part of the cervical spine once again will take the blow, even minor (for example, cotton on the back or a slap), then a high risk of fracture of bone trabeculae.
Aseptic spondylitis tend to undergo several stages:
- Acute injury. The first symptom is acute pain, and so strong that a person can even lose consciousness. Pain last for 2-3 weeks and then goes away.
- Imaginary remission is approximately 2 months. Pain in this period does not arise.
- Relapse. The sudden return of pain that require no significant external impact.
- Aseptic spondylitis urgent treatment, which primarily starts with strict bed rest.
This will allow to unload the spine. Lying on the bed of the patient under the area of kyphosis enclose the platen. Also, now the patient will have to wear a corset, take a course of medical gymnastics and massage.
All these kinds of ailment in their own risk, since, initially localized in one area of the spine, they can move to other, e.g. first lumbar to the thoracic and then the cervical and to the Department. Treatment in each case selected individually, depending on what the outcome will give the examination. Of course, while focusing on the General condition of the patient.
Symptoms of disease
To seek help from a doctor, you need to make sure that the spine is something wrong. And for that you need to know what is the symptoms of spondylitis. And they are:
- the Pain is the first and the main harbinger of trouble. The pain occurs in the affected area, but as for her character, here largely depends on the reason. It can be quite subtle or sharp, which is impossible to tolerate. In most cases, the vertebrae are "whining", especially if the person starts to exert pressure on the back.
- Lost mobility and flexibility of the spine. In the first place a person feels that he cannot freely bend and rotate. If a problem occurs and the cervical spine, the movements will become very difficult.
- If you look at the patient side, we can note the alignment of physiological curves, which the posture changing its shape. In addition, due to the lack of the S-shaped spine a person begins to feel that he was quickly tired, and the back is constantly sore.
diagnosis and treatment
Then the patient can assign one of the following procedures:
- donate blood for the General and biochemical analysis. This helps to identify the outbreak in the body the inflammatory process;
- the passage of x-rays of the spinal column. It identifies the location of foci of inflammatory processes, as well as their degree;
- computed tomography specifies the form of spondylitis;
- biopsy reveals the underlying cause of the disease.
In case of involvement in spondylitis and spinal nerves, the patient may feel numbness in some parts of the skin, muscle spasms, and will also begin to notice that his sensitivity is slightly decreased.
If at least one of the points you can tick the box, then there is reason to worry for their health. Therefore, to delay going to the doctor is not worth it.
After the doctor received all the results, he prescribes a course of treatment. Will definitely need a comprehensive approach that includes not only medications, but also physical therapy. Of necessity can be assigned to the operation after which the patient will haveyet to undergo rehabilitation.
It Is necessary to say a few words about drug therapy. We have already mentioned that the treatment depends on the cause of the spondylitis. The same applies to drugs. The doctor selects them individually, so it can be:
- drugs that relieves the inflammation without the steroid effect, help to reduce pain and inflammation, and if there is a temperature, knock and it ("Ortofen", "Indomethacin");
- corticosteroids, which contribute to the speedy restoration of the spinal column, relieve swelling and restore the processes of metabolism ("Prednisolone");
- solutions that help remove toxins from the body, down temperature (solution of sodium chloride, ringer's medium)
- antibiotics, designed to combat infections ("Cefixime, Ceftriaxone, Ofloxacin, Norfloxacin and Levofloxacin").
In Parallel with drug therapy a patient needs to undergo heat therapy, health-improving physical training, to attend massage courses. It is desirable, if possible, to do the Spa treatment.
All these activities will not only help to cure spondylitis, but will have a good effect during the rehabilitation period. But in order to avoid this, it is not necessary to forget about preventive measures – exercise, avoidance of injuries of the spine. If a bad situation happened, then tightening is not necessary. You need to immediately consult a doctor, because the earlier they are diagnosed and identified the problem, the more successful and get cheaper treatment. Certain forms of spondylitis cause fever, chills and weakness. These symptoms and is characterized by a simple cold, because of which man may be misled regarding the causes of sickness.