Key features of diffuse herniated disc
The First stage of formation of herniated discs is protrusion. During this process the affected pulpous nucleus stretches fibrous ring, which leads to its protrusion into the spinal canal. A particular danger at this stage is diffuse disc herniation.
What symptoms accompany diffuse herniated disc?
In the formation of this pathology involves a large part of the fibrous ring is from 30-50%, and in some cases, and more. This reduces the height of the disc, resulting in compression of the spinal nerve roots and primary clinical manifestations – sensation of heaviness in back pain syndrome.
depending on the areas, where predominantly there is bulging of the hernia is anterior to the vertebral body or posterior, is determined by the clinical picture and its consequences.
The Most rare ventral or anterior diffuse herniated disc – bulging disc anterior to the vertebrae, towards the internal organs. Special danger it poses, as it does not touch any nerve plexus. Even large hernias of this localization can be asymptomatic.
The Most frequently found rear diffuse hernia and it is the most dangerous. This is because the intervertebral disc protrudes into the spinal canal where the spinal cord passes. Compression of the spinal cord can cause serious neurological disorders – up to the paresis (weakening of voluntary movements).
in What ways is the diagnosis?
A hernia is Usually first detected during the development of the following clinical picture:
- pain, which depends on the location – in lumbar hernia is pain in the back, with the defeat of the cervical or thoracic spine – pain in the chest, worse when coughing
- neurological pathology is a loss of sensation in the hands or feet (again determined by the localization of the hernial education), the appearance of pathological reflexes – reflex Lasegue;
- disorders of pelvic organs – violation of urination and defecation.
The Diagnosis is confirmed by means of neuroimaging methods – nuclear magnetic resonance tomography or computer tomography (CT).
to treat or not to Treat?
To this question the answer is straightforward – treatment, as untreated diffuse hernia may eventually go even sequestered. Treatment methods at the stage of protrusion only therapeutic.
The first stage is usually performed for the relief of acute process, which uses medical therapy:
- non-Steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) for the relief of pain and reduction of inflammation;
- Central muscle relaxants to relieve spasm of the paravertebral muscles;
- B Vitamins – the restore function of nerves infringed;
- or Hypnotics antidepressants with the aim of restoring the normal rhythm of sleep.
After the suppression of acute inflammatory process and achieve stable remission, you can proceed to restorative treatment. The emphasis is on methods of rehabilitation exercises. With the right approach and under the guidance of experienced instructors physical therapy, you can achieve significant regression of diffuse herniation of intervertebral disc, and in some cases its complete disappearance.
The Most effective techniques at this stage are considered to be adaptive gymnastics Bubnovsky, restorative gymnastics Dikul and combined methods Dr. Pellico. They are based on the use of internal reserves of the body to enhance regeneration of the intervertebral discs.
It Should be noted a good efficiency from the methods of manual therapy. Just do not forget that the greater the severity of the pathological process, the less the intensity of impact on the spine.
Programs treat intervertebral discs include physical therapy. Actively uses the following techniques:
- electrophoresis with local anesthetics and corticosteroids on paravertebral region;
- diadynamic currents (DDT);
- sinusoidal modulated currents
- therapy low-energy laser radiation.
what you need to know
Any protrusion, including diffuse, is the initial stage of formation of a hernia. It's pretty easy to respond to therapy, so no need to run it and wait for the formation of a more serious pathology – extrusion or sequestration. Early treatment can completely restore the function of the intervertebral disc.
No need to self-medicate – the majority of patients believe that their own kupirovan pain using NSAIDs, they solved the problem. But with the help of drugs only eliminated symptoms, but forthe cause must persistently and methodically to engage in rehabilitation exercises.
And most important – better to prevent disease than to treat it, therefore, important to prevention of intervertebral hernias and a healthy lifestyle.