Youth (uvenilny) osteochondrosis of the lumbar, thoracic and cervical spine
Juvenile osteochondrosis (a disease of Chairman) is a heterogeneous inflammatory disease, usually begins in adolescence (at age 16). This pathology typical aggressive fast for promoting early disability of the patient. The incidence is 5-8%.
cause of disease
The Exact causes of degenerative diseases is not known, however, it is proved that the triggering factors can be:
- genetic susceptibility
- viral (measles, cytomegalovirus, rubella, Epstein-Barr, mumps) and bacterial (Klebsiella, Salmonella, Yersinia) infections bone and disk;
- injuries to the growth zones of the bone tissue in the pubertal period;
- eating disorders growth areas of the spine and joints
- uneven and inadequate physical activity in puberty with the rapid growth of the teenager.
Juvenile osteochondrosis of the spine is Polideportivo-degenerative disorders of articular cartilage. The disease can develop anywhere, but the most affected spinal discs.
Juvenile osteochondrosis can affect:
- cervical spine
- thoracic spine
The weakness of the musculoskeletal system and the effect of any of the trigger factors triggered osteochondromatosis processes: cartilage loses elasticity and mobility, changes texture and form that affects the vascular and nervous structures. With time comes the withering away areas of cartilage and bone.
The Clinical picture of juvenile degenerative disc disease is characterized by moderate pain, absence of violations of the pelvic organs, high incidence of radicular syndromes (lumbago). However, various types of degenerative disc disease can manifest different symptoms:
- Juvenile osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is manifested by frequent dizziness, headaches, fatigue, can be spontaneous fainting and visual disturbances. Often patients complain of migraine accompanied by transient nausea and vomiting a typical symptom of cerebral spasm. Pain is not expressed.
- Disease of the thoracic spine typical symptoms of disorders of respiratory function, pain in the chest or upper abdomen, simulating diseases of the abdominal organs and heart. Gradually develop incorrect posture. The thoracic hump (kyphosis) – to 45-75⁰ at a rate of up to 30⁰.
- Pathology of the lumbar and sacrum is manifested by cervicalgia or lumbodynia, pain is moderate.
A Period of juvenile osteochondrosis of the spine:
- Hidden (latent period)
Complaints can be absent altogether, or the patient may indicate discomfort in the thoracic or lumbar after loads. Stooped posture (kyphosis) expressed moderately. When you try to tilt the child is not able to reach his arms up to stop. Usually appears in 11-16 years.
- Early neurological symptoms
With the increase of curvature arise of infringement of the nerve roots, there are periodic short-term, and then constant pain in the lumbar spine, the interscapular region. Pronounced thoracic kyphosis, stiffness of the spinal column. Ligaments thicken. Stage usually lasts from 15 to 20 years.
- Late neurological symptoms
Kyphotic changes are progressing, a second deformation (herniation, spondylosis). In the vertebral ligaments calcium is deposited. 70% appears hump (kyphosis), 30% scoliosis. The mobility of the spine is sharply limited.
- Orthopedic and vertebroneurological examination
Includes the identification of focal areas of painful restricted movements of the affected intervertebral joints, incorrect posture.
On radiographs is a noticeable wedge-shaped deformation of bodies of the apical vertebrae, the lateral deviation of the axis of the spine, hernia. In the latent stage the radiograph shows normal.
- MRI and electromyography
Magnetic resonance research allows you to identify relevant neurological symptoms, electromyography determines the strength of the spinal muscles.
Treatment depends on the severity of dystrophic processes, as a whole is directed to suspend the degenerative changes of the spine and includes the following:
- massage, videopokeronline therapy, exercises are assigned to the normalization of nervous processes and blood circulation, slow tonicity and radicular changes, the stimulation of osteoregeneration;
- drug therapy – anti-inflammatory agents, protective agents, vitamin - and mineralotherapy. With the rapid aggressive course shows the use of steroid drugs;
- surgical treatment is used in cases when the angle of kyphosisis more than 75⁰ or suffer the organs of the thoracic cavity (heart, lungs). The surgical treatment removes the abnormal vertebrae and support the spine set design.
Early therapy improves the prognosis of the disease.