The symptoms and treatment of spondylosis of the cervical spine
Spondylosis of the cervical spine develops due to the presence of degenerative-dystrophic diseases (osteochondrosis, spondylarthrosis) in combination with a sedentary lifestyle, prolonged sitting at the computer. There are other provoking factors of the disease, which adversely affect the state of the muscle-ligament and bone system of the vertebral column.
cause of disease
Cervical spondylosis is primarily due to aging of the anatomical structures of the spine or on-going trauma. Consequently, in the muscles, ligaments and soft tissues there are microfractures that lead to the accumulation of calcium salts in tissues.
What are the anatomical features of the cervical spine provide the formation of bone osteophytes between vertebrae:
- the First 3 cervical vertebrae does not contain pronounced intervertebral discs (C1, C2, C3);
- In C5, C6 and C7 have maximum load when lifting weights
- the Vertebrae are small, so very sensitive to excessive depreciation pressure;
- the Vessels and nerve trunks are arranged in a narrow space, so any damage can cause compression syndromes, and soft tissue swelling;
- Skeletal muscles of the neck are poorly developed;
- High mobility of the cervical spine reduces its spare capacity at constant load.
Any kind of injury, overload, incorrect posture during sleep, poor posture and degenerative disc disease in this division reduces the flexibility of the spinal column and leads to microtraining musculo-ligamentous structures. First, the non-functional defects are overgrown by connective tissue, which calcium salts are deposited, which leads to irreversible pathological processes and the appearance of osteophytes bone (calcifications, ossification).
Symptoms and classification
The Symptoms are most pronounced during the formation of bony osteophytes between vertebrae of the lower (C5, C6 and C7). In this form, the following symptoms:
- Aching pain;
- Inability to complete the flexion, extension and rotations of the neck;
- hearing, speech and smell
- tingling Sensations in the upper extremities
- Weakness of the skeletal muscles of the shoulder girdle and upper limb
- Headaches in the occipital region.
In medicine, when placing the diagnosis of "cervical spondylosis" taken before him to write "deforming". This interpretation is not explanatory. It only describes the pathogenetic features of the disease symptoms. When it occurs deformation of the spine with limitation of mobility of segments in the bone formation of osteophytes.
To Treat spondylosis of the cervical spine is possible only after identifying the causes and pathogenetic mechanisms of the disease. Usually, symptoms of the disease with lesions of the first vertebrae is not expressed clinically, but radiographs can be used to detect specific changes.
Degenerative osteophytes at the level of C5-C6 accompanied by compression syndrome that so often form the cerebral symptoms in the form of neurological disorders and dizziness. To fix it, neurologists appoint agents to normalize the blood circulation (pentoxifylline, cavintonum, Cinnarizine).
Comprehensive treatment of the disease is divided into the following stages:
- Strengthening of the neck muscles;
- Unload the cervical spine;
- correct posture
- pain relief.
In all cases (especially when spondylosis in the segments C5-C6-C7) prescribed exercise therapy, swimming and massage therapy. In the specialized clinics this complex is complemented by traction, massage and physiotherapy.
Qualified treatment of cervical spondylosis is based on the elimination of all symptoms of pathology. It is aimed at preventing life-threatening complications: ischemia of brain cells, compression of nerve roots and compression of the spinal cord.
Treatment of disease in an outpatient setting requires:
- Eliminate pain anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, Nise, diclofenac);
- Removal of skeletal muscle spasm with massage and muscle relaxants (mydocalm);
- pressure Reduction between different bone structures;
- Improve blood circulation in the soft tissues and spine;
- strengthening the joints of the vertebral column.
Some experts in the diagnosis concomitant degenerative spondylosis with degenerative disc disease recommend the use of chondroprotectors (alflutop, structum,teraflex). These funds improve the liquid properties of the intervertebral discs and thus increase the flexibility of the vertebral column.
Oriental medicine to eliminate the disease actively using hirudotherapy. There is a special kind of leeches called "medical", which thins the blood, thereby improving blood circulation in the spine.
In conclusion, I would like to highlight the main stages of the patient:
- making an appointment with a therapist or a neurologist;
- Initial reception. During his doctor collects history and performs a list of clinical and laboratory researches with application x-ray and ultrasound, which allows to establish the causes and symptoms of pathology;
- treatment of disease is long and can be supervised by several professionals: the spine, a neurologist and orthopedist.
The Patient needs to prepare for what the treatment will last for a long time, as the basis of therapy is not the elimination of the etiological factors of the disease, and the elimination of symptoms. If the background pathology observed osteochondrosis C5-C6 or intervertebral hernia, may require surgical treatment.
Surgery for spondylosis is recommended when conservative treatments do not help get rid of the disease. Against this background generally increases neurological symptoms, which resolve without removing the root cause impossible. In this situation, surgeons eliminate bone osteophyte compresses the vessels and nerves.
In any case, you should entrust the treatment of this disease by a qualified specialist. At home without his control you will not achieve improvement of the disease.