Anatomy, the structure and the concept of degenerative disc disease of the lumbar spine
The Lumbar spine is of great importance for the performance of the core functions of the vertebral column. Anatomically, the spine is one of the most important structures in the human body. The device protects the spinal cord, performs a support function and is responsible for the mobility of the torso and head.
S-shaped vertebral column gives it a bounciness, flexibility, helps to soften any movement accompanying a concussion. Anatomy, structure and form of the spinal column help a person to walk upright, to keep the body upright and to maintain the balance of the center of gravity.
The human Spine consists of 33-34 vertebrae vertically United. On the basis of its structure the spine is divided into five departments:
- the sacrum
- the coccyx.
In the anatomy of the major muscles responsible for flexion, extension, bending and twisting of the body, is a muscle, straightening the spine, and transversospinales.
degenerative disc disease in lumbosacral spine
Lumbar spine consists of five, sometimes six, the largest of the vertebrae. Ideally, he, like the neck should smoothly bend forwards (lordosis). It combines thoracic spine and the sacrum, the structure of which is five fused together vertebrae.
The main causes of osteochondrosis include:
- excessive exercise
- back injury
- class broken
- incorrectly performed complex exercises.
At risk are people overweight or those whose activity is connected with regular hard physical work and weight lifting.
Also to the reasons for the development of osteochondrosis in the lumbar-sacral spine can be attributed to the wrong routine and diet, stress, chronic sleep deprivation or metabolic disorders.
Some researchers believe that a predisposition to the disease genes. At the end of last century, the degenerative disc disease was considered a disease of older people, because over the years, the intervertebral discs can lose their elasticity, and the vertebrae – mobility. Today, however, changes in the lumbosacral spine occur in people at a younger age.
low back pain Often develops in those patients who suffer from various inflammatory diseases of the spine.
If the patient appear regular pain in the lower back, one can speak about the pain, because it is the main symptom of the disease. The pain may occur suddenly when a failure or sudden movement, after exercise and even at rest.
It can be felt in the lumbar region, lifting thoracic, or give in the legs and buttocks.
If the disease, pain occurs even when coughing, sneezing, or other minimal physical activity, totally unrelated to the lower back. Because of pain the back loses flexibility, the patient is difficult to tilt.
In some cases, the degenerative disc disease of the lumbar spine is expressed by fatigue, irritability, insomnia.
- Conservative treatment methods aimed at stopping the progress of the disease and the gradual return of the spine to the normal position. Often degenerative changes in intervertebral disks observed due to spasms of the muscles. It is the muscles provide the spine with support and properly working your back muscles contribute to the formation of the ideal posture. If after 2-3 months of conservative treatment no positive developments or the disease progresses, should decide to have surgery.
- Comprehensive treatment, consisting of massage, various methods of extraction of the spine, manual therapy, physical therapy, special diets, etc.
- Surgery. Most often doctors prescribe discectomy, under such a complication of osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernia. This is the most common operation is the removal of the destroyed disc. And now more and more used microsurgical methods of treatment and endoscopic surgery.
most Often a doctor treated patients with complaints of regular back pain.
- First, where to begin treatment is to change the way of life of the patient. In order to distribute the load on the spine the patient should sleep on the orthopedic mattress.
- Quite often the physician after the first consultation, the patient assigns treatment of osteochondrosis of lumbar Department of medicine, relieving pain and stopping inflammation.
- Wellsuch, many folk remedies based on herbs and gifts of nature. However, drugs only cropped manifestations of the disease, but do not fight with the root cause of the changes without rehabilitation.
- Classical medicine in some instances suggests applying traction to treat degenerative disc disease. However, such procedures may only be performed in hospitals with special equipment.
- it gives Good results the massage helps to relax tense muscles in the affected area. Massage eliminates muscle spasms and reduces pain even without the use of drugs.
- you Can wear a rigid locking corset. It helps to keep your back in the correct position, but this often leads to muscle atrophy. Therefore it is better to use a corset occasionally, wearing them for several hours a day to fix back in the correct position. Pick the corset is only after the consultation with the doctor-vertebrologist, as not every model of the corset will ease the condition.
- In the period of exacerbation is a good idea to wear a soft belt made of wool on the patient's lower back to its natural warming. However, a sore spot warm heating pad or other heat sources nor in any case impossible.
- Good results can be achieved with the help of physical therapy course that includes exercises that strengthen the back muscles. The effectiveness of exercise therapy depends on regular and correct execution of the exercise program and the desire of the patient to be cured. However, if any of the activities is difficult or causes discomfort, should be deleted.
- Today are trying to treat degenerative disc disease and unconventional methods – exotic massage, acupuncture and other unusual procedures. However, to provide such treatment needs certified specialists clinics with a good reputation.
- methods Such as vacuum massage, hirudotherapy and other ways to normalize blood circulation, effectively help fight osteoarthritis. Especially useful in this disease water therapy and swimming.
If the patient is able to afford a vacation, then start the best treatment in a sanatorium or preventorium, specializing in the treatment of diseases of the musculoskeletal system.